Rap and music in general has evolved a ton in the past decade. In the past, rappers used to hit the streets and hand out their mixtapes, or mail their EPs to record label executives. People still do that, of course, but a level of that “rawness” has succumbed to the powers of the internet. In all honesty, if you can be discovered on the internet, you can be discovered by people from all over the world.
When it comes to the internet, everyone starts from somewhere. And having an online presence is absolutely vital. A great career step to make if you’re trying to get your name out to the masses would be to create a domain website. Today, I’m going to talk you through some of the key things you need to know in order to get started.
What pages should my website include?
1. Home page. Your home page should highlight the important things happening in your career. If you have a new music video or a new song release, you’ll want to display it loud and proud right on the front of your site. Additionally, you can add widgets to the front of your site that takes users to other pages.
2. About/Biography. This page should introduce who you are as an artist, and detail some of the history of your music career. This is also a great space to write a message to your fans.
3. Music. This should be pretty obvious. On this page, you should post a category of all your albums and all the music you’ve released. After all, that’s what people came for.
4. Shows/Upcoming events. If you have any events coming up, you’ll want to post them on your website and sell tickets to your fans. This way they’ll know where they can come see you next.
5. Merch store. If you sell merchandise, you might consider adding an online store so your fans can shop online. Keep in mind to charge a little extra for shipping if you sell through your website.
6. Contact. This is super important because you’ll want to make sure venues know how to get a hold of you for booking and artists will know how to reach you for feature opportunities.
How to get started
First, you’ll want to choose a domain name. That should be pretty simple. Most artists name their website just by their name or by their name with “music” added at the end. After that, you’ll want to choose your website design and get help with creating it. Vistaprint offers services for website building featuring help from experts. You can check out their packages here.
After that, you need to make sure to update your website often. Anytime you have a new music release or more news to announce, you’ll want to immediately post it on your website. Your site should be the number one place that your fans can visit to learn everything they need to know about your career.
Add your social media links to your website. This way, visitors can stay connected to all your platforms.
Create a simplistic design. Websites should be easy to navigate, which means they shouldn’t have so much clutter that your fans can’t find their way around.
Make sure your site is mobile friendly. No matter what medium visitors are using to navigate it, your website should look top tier.
Always link your logo to the homepage. This is a pretty common occurrence, so people on your page will probably expect that your website follows suit.
Creating a website is one of the most obvious ways to build a presence online. If you have any more tips for building a successful website, make sure to share them in the comments.
*This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I will get a small commission if you purchase from my link with no extra cost to you :)*